Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sweet Home Alabangalore

Hi there, how are you? I just got back from a 2 week trip traveling in northern India. I went to a bunch of places, saw a few sights and just checked stuff out. Traveling in India is pretty tiring, nothing really very efficient about it. Nothing's on time, no streets are marked for finding out where you're going and whatnot. I'll take you on a tour with me to the places I went to. Follow me.

Life has taught me that it's always best to start with a video of a cute monkey, so here's a short one I made on my trip.


Okay, now that that's out of the way...

Leg 1. First we went to a city called Jaipur. Here's a picture.



We were a bit hesitant about peeping Jaipur because there were some bombings there a few weeks before and all around unrest, but I live life dangerously, so I went. The place had craploads of sights to see and whatnot, so we spent most of the time touring old forts and palaces. The picture above is from a car on a mountain road on the way to a fort, looking down on the lake palace. Jaipur is also where I found out that Rusty is afraid of revolving restaurants.
You can see all my pictures of Jaipur (with comments!) by clicking below.

Jaipur

After Jaipur, we planned on rollin on over to Agra and staying there a few night. However, the gull dern Gujjars (lower caste) were blocking the highways (to protest the gov't), so we had to change our plans and headed on up to Delhi.

New Delhi is the capitol city and home to 13 million people. As you can imagine lots of hussle and bustle and pollution live there too. But it's definitely a neat place with lots going on an many historic sites. We spent one day touring sites, and the rest of the time there just walking on all the crazy streets full of shops. Here are a few photos from New Delhi.

This is the India gate. It apparently had a bunch of jewels and crap embedded in it before the British took them all.

This is Muhatma Gandhi's grave except that he was cremated.

This is the lotus temple, very cool.

There's more photos from New Delhi at the link below.

New Delhi

We took a day trip from Delhi to Agra since the Gujjars hadn't blocked that road yet. Agra is a relatively small town but it houses the Taj Mahal, which is one of the 7 wonders of the world I'm told. We also went and saw the Agra Fort while we were there.

So that there's the Taj Mahal, it's solid white marble and it doesn't really look real even when you're there. It appears to float on air.


Here's me posing in front of the Taj.

And here's a photo of the Agra Fort that we toured.
For more photos of these sites and of Rusty getting attacked by a monkey go the the link below.

Agra


Next place on the trip was to Shimla, it's a relatively small city high in the Himlayan mountains.

Being in the mountains was sweet, you could look down and see clouds and half the time you were in a cloud.

There were a lot of monkeys in Shimla, Rusty and I had to rent monkey sticks (5 rupees) to defend ourselves.

Here's me standing on top of a mountain. Rusty and I walked approx. 15 miles in one day much of it uphill, but it was really fun. Also very tiring.

There's more pictures of Shimla if you click below, but the beauty really doesn't translate to photos, you kinna had to be there.

Shimla


So I went several other place and have a lot photos, but I'm gonna post all this now and I'll put the rest up in a few days. I'm sure glad to be back, even though my Xbox died (got it fixed) and I was deathly ill for the last few days (i'm better).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha looks like you guys had a good time, and nice job with all the pics, and what is with that crazy hat you were wearing, and ignoring that poor child, and rusty's stagnant hair, and you looking attractive in flannel on an eerie mountain/tree picture.

-courtney

Anonymous said...

Yeah the photos look great, also looked like a lot of fun. Pretty sure I would have passed out on the 15 mile hike.
-mike

Anonymous said...

I as well have been traversing mountains. I'm in San Francisco right now. It's pretty gnarly. I drove your car(now about 1/4 mine) up a bunch of crazy mountains. It handled it like a champ.
Your trip looks cooler though. And I'm not really taking many pictures.

-Z